Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sad

Last week was actually very laid back until Friday. I got a call from my mother on Friday morning saying that my grandmother was on the way to the hospital and that she was unresponsive. My mom was trying to get a hold of my aunt (who was also very close to my grandma) and wanted to know if I had my cousin's number, my aunt was over there baby sitting. I told my mom I would call my aunt and tell her to call my mom since my mom was driving. I got ahold of my aunt right away and gave her the message.

About half an hour later, my mom called back and said that they had my grandma was in cat scan and she would keep me updated. At that point my sister called me and I let her know what was going on. When I got off the phone I realized I had a voice mail but didn't have a missed call, my phone does that some times.

I listened to the voice mail. It was my mom and she sounded like she was crying. I knew at that point that it was going to be bad. My mom just isn't the type of person who cries unless it is really bad. So with a heavy heart I called my mom back and that is when she told me that my grandma had passed away. It felt like someone had reached into my chest and tore my heart out. All I could do was cry and try to make sure my mom was ok through the tears.

I went and picked up my sister and we headed up to the hospital to say our good byes. My aunt, mom, and cousins were there. It was such a sad moment. At first I couldn't even go into the viewing room. I just sat in the waiting room. After I had giving myself some time, I went in and said good bye to the only grandparent I have ever known. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Now normally I am the person who doesn't cry in front of others. I am usually the rock that holds everyone together, but I broke down hard. I couldn't hold in the tears anymore.
Last week was very hard with the wake, funeral and burial. But at the same time it was very beautiful. There were Native American singers and drummers at all 3 and everything was very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment